November 13, 2011

Fried Peach Pies

Two years ago this month (on the 7th), my Granny, Emma Haskins went to be with the Lord. Everytime I think of her, I think of the fried peach pies she made. A couple of years before she died, she showed me how to make them and for whatever reason I didn't write anything down. No recipe or anything. I guess I thought I could just remember everything. I am sure kicking myself now! To say her fried peach pies were delicious is an understatement. I've been wanting to try and make them for a while now. So after searching the internet and calling my Aunt Miranda and Aunt Stacy for help, Chris and I decided to just give it a try.

The problem I ran into, was every recipe search on the internet used dried peaches and my Granny used canned peaches. We would have happily used a recipe from the internet BUT we couldn't find dried peaches at any of the grocery stores around here. So, I called my Aunt's and they told me what they could remember but wasn't exactly sure. We ended up just choosing a peach pie filling recipe we found on the internet using canned peaches because that's what we had in the pantry.

The pies came out ok but didn't look or taste anything like my Granny's. That's the bad news, the good news is, we didn't burn down the house and we didn't have any serious burns. I will never forget that day Granny was trying to teach me how to make the pies, I accidentally dunked the tip of my ring finger in the hot oil when I was putting the pie in the pan. So I was very nervous when it came to that part! No matter how hard we try I don't think we will ever get them just the way she made them but we are sure going to keep trying.


a couple of them busted open :(





 Olivia kept Sambo busy for us

No comments:

Post a Comment